Monday, March 21, 2011

A word about giving.

Times are tough. People are hungry, cold and scared. Our break in is a symptom of that. We've had our own share of poverty and to be honest, we're not that far away from it still. But we have so much more than so many. Everything we have, we have because God has given it to us, and it is to be used to bless others with.  We were driving to the new house yesterday to remove some old carpet when we saw a small, cold lady with a sign. One of those- " Help! Mother. Will work for food or diapers! Please!" These signs are becoming more and more common and they break my heart. We pulled over and I jumped out to see what size diapers she needed. Size 4, the same size I had in my car, that I just bought for our youngest. Now I have a dilemma, I'm feeling poor myself and worrying about how to buy all the stuff we need to get the new house in order so we can move in and blah blah blah. But I'm not standing in the cold, alone, begging for things that my children desperately need. Thank you Jesus!! I pulled out the case of diapers and a pack of wipes to give her and I hope they bless that poor lady and her family.

   We drove out to the farm and on the way we saw the son of the lady we bought the house from. He is a really great guy and I owed him an apology. When we were broken into, the police thought it was someone in the family and were not very nice when questioning him. I wanted him to know that we never thought he was involved and we were sorry about the way the police handled things with him. We have restored good relations with him and I feel much better inside now. While we were talking he offered us an oak entertainment center, a chest freezer and a really awesome play structure for the kids for free. One of those wooden $2000.00 kinds I've always wanted but had a hard time justifying the expense of. Not a bad return on a "God investment" of $17.00 in diapers. We have seen time and time again how Luke 6:38; "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." really works when you apply it. Never because you are expecting something in return but because you genuinely desire to make a life better for someone who has less. We are saved by grace, my marriage is strong, my children are healthy and the Lord goes with us. We are rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment